Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oh Caroline...


SOOOOO, We are in our new house and back online! We are still unpacking boxes and getting settled, but I have to admit, it's coming along.


Amidst all of our moving and unpacking, we had our 36 week ultrasound yesterday. The purpose of this ultrasound was to check her size and position and guess what? Little Miss Caroline is upside down...also know as BREECH. Frank Breech to be exact. Which means her legs are straight up in front of her face...in a pike position. I guess maybe she thinks she is an Olympic diver or something!?!?!?
From what I understand, the chances of her flipping over at this late stage are fairly slim (but I am hoping!) so, we either schedule a c-section or attempt to flip her manually ASAP. This process is called a External Cephalic Version (ECV or Version for short). The doctor literally pushes on your belly and manipulates the baby into a head-down position. I have heard is quite painful, but it's done at the hospital to closely monitor mom and baby, since there is a slight risk of rupturing the placenta, breaking the water, and/or causing labor/contractions to begin. Whew! Big decision! Should we try it or not? Well, we weighed our options and decided to go for it. I go in on Monday and they will attempt to coerce Caroline into the proper position. I am nervous, but also very hopeful! I am willing to try anything to avoid a c-section. So, we will see what happens...
Please pray for us! Maybe when we arrive on Monday, she will have already flipped on her own...maybe...just maybe....

2 comments:

Jami said...

Caroline!!! Already giving your mommy and daddy fits! Hope everything turns out the way you want- literally :)
If not don't be too down- my recovery from a c-section wasn't so bad and if you ask Cassi who's had both she will tell you that she would pick the c-section recovery any day!

The Kennedy's said...

Just found your blog via facebook and am so excited to keep up with you guys... I am saying a pray right now that the flip goes well!